Sunday, August 22, 2010

Have you ever used a prepaid Visa card when traveling to Europe?

And if so, what was it? Could you suggest (in your opinion) the best way of paying for things as a teen and overseas?

Have you ever used a prepaid Visa card when traveling to Europe?
Yes, I've used it and have never had a problem. I'm 16 %26amp; don't have my own credit cards yet, so my parents have given me the pre-paid cards (Mastercard and Visa) the last few times I've traveled.





I think it's better than a regular credit card because it forces you to really keep tabs on how much you're spending. When I went on a study abroad trip to Greece when I was 12 my mom gave me her Amex card and I ran up a HUGE bill because I just didn't think through what I was spending. If I saw something I liked, I just bought it and it didn't occur to me to convert the cost or keep track of my spending.





Ever since then, I've had the prepaid cards and have carried a plastic bag with me to hold my receipts in my purse. Every night I'd add up how much I spent and get my new balance.





I also travel with two ATM cards. One is from the credit union (it doesn't charge ATM fees) and the other is from the bank and is a back up.





You should make copies of your cards front and back so that if they are stolen you have the number (which is one the back) to call and the account number (which is on the front). Also, always, always, always, travel with at least two sources of money. One girl lost her debit card the 1st day of the trip and was screwed because she didn't have a backup. Keep one debit / ATM card and one prepaid card in your wallet and one ATM card and prepaid card in your locked bag. This way, if your wallet is lost or stolen, you have backup. Otherwise, you have to get money wired to you and that's a total hassle.





Have a great trip!!!!!!!

permanent teeth eruption

No comments:

Post a Comment